5 Year Anniversary for Sonja Kill Memorial HospitolShane Engel
The team at Sonja Kill Memorial Hospital recently celebrated its 5 year anniversary. SKMH opened in April 2012 with the mission to meet the needs of poor children and women of Southern Cambodia. It is managed by HOPE worldwide. Since its opening, nearly 50,000 patients have been touched by the team. On May 26, the hospital honored 31 employees who have served since the hospital’s opening day. Through the dedication of its staff and supporters, SKMH has seen tremendous growth. Since its opening, the hospital has accomplished the following:
- More than 140,000 patient consultations with nearly 50,000 new patients
- 71% of visits have been for women and children
- Nearly 800 children have been born at the hospital since the opening of the Maternity building in November 2014
- 7 Cambodian doctors have graduated from three-year hospital training program.
- Currently employs over 180 people
- The Neo Natal Intensive care unit opened November 2015. To date, the NICU has served 49 children
- Centralized Medical Gas System for NICU and campus opened in November 2016.
- Surgical department opened in 2015
- The surgical team has performed over 360 surgeries in 2016, not including C-Sections. 86 surgeries have been for children
- Blood bank opened in August 2016
- A Learning Center for children of hospital staff opened on June 12
Sonja Kill Memorial Hospital has been blessed with international support from medical and administrative partners as well as volunteers from around the world to serve and teach. The local Cambodian staff continues to grow and serves as the primary patient care providers.
The team is grateful for all the support that has been given this past five years; however, there remains more to do. Future development includes the addition of a CT scan, upgraded X-ray diagnostic equipment, continued development of staff training programming and pursuit of international accreditations. Please consider how you can make a difference at the Sonja Kill Memorial Hospital. Go to https://www.hopeww.org/donate. Use the drop down box and select Sonja Kill Memorial Hospital. If you wish to learn more about the Sonja Kill Memorial Hospital, please visit www.skmh.org