Gospel Study Guide: The Response to Jesusadmin
Key Text: Acts 2:36-41
The preaching of the gospel was meant to bring about a response. It was meant to change people’s lives.
I. Faith: Changed Thinking (Acts 2:36-37 ).
- The people’s response to Peter shows that they had come to faith in Jesus as their Lord (master) and Christ (savior).
- This faith in Jesus was more than an acceptance of the facts, but a trust in Jesus that moved them to action (verse 37).
- Saving faith must lead to action in our lives as well (Read James 2:14-26 ).
- The gospel message must be received with this kind of faith (Hebrews 4:2 ).
II. Repentance: A Changed Life (Acts 2:38 ) (Q: What is repentance?)
- Acts 26:20 Turning from a self-determined life to one that strives to please God.
- 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 No longer living to please self, but to please God.
- Galatians 5:19-26 Repentance is “crucifying the sinful nature (vs 24)”. What sins do you need to crucify? (Suggest: share with each other.)
- Genesis 6:5-13 Repentance comes from taking responsibility for the pain our sins cause God.
Share: how our sins make God feel. What does it mean that our sins crucified Jesus? (refer: Acts 2:36 )
- 2 Corinthians 7:8-11 Godly sorrow leads to repentance.
Q: Do you have godly sorrow about your sins?
Q: If not, what element of godly sorrow do you still lack? (Offer help.)
Baptism: A Changed Relationship — from separated to united in Christ (Acts 2:38-41 )
- Isaiah 59:1-2 Our sins separate us from God.
- Acts 2:38-41
- Our sins are forgiven.
- We receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
- We are added to God’s church.
- Romans 6:1-8
- Through baptism we die with Christ to the old life of sin
- We are resurrected to a new life with Christ.
- Galatians 3:26-29 Baptism is an adoption into the family of God. It is also analogous to a marriage ceremony. Baptism is when we are joined with Christ. In fact, the marriage relationship is often alluded to in describing the relationship of God’s people to Jesus
(Refer: Ephesians 5:23,29 , Ephesians 31-31 , Revelation 19:7-21:2-9 , Revelation 22:17 ).