Gospel Study Guide: The Life of Jesusadmin
Purpose: To establish the reason for God sending his Son and to provide an introduction to the person, the miracles and the claims of Jesus.
I. The Savior is coming (Two Old Testament prophecies about Jesus)
- Isaiah 53:1-12 (The Savior — Messiah – is coming!) (750 BC)
- Despised and rejected (verse 3)
- Pierced for our transgressions (verse 5)
- By his wounds we will be healed; brought back to God (verse 5)
- Like a lamb led to the slaughter (verse 7)
- He will bear sins and justify many (verse 11)
- Zechariah 9:9 (The Savior — Messiah – is coming to Jerusalem!) (520 BC)
- Bringing salvation
- Righteous and gentle
- Riding on a donkey
II. The Savior is here (Watch how Jesus’ miracles backed up his claims.)
- John 6:1-15 (The miracle) – What does this tell us about Jesus?
- John 6:30-40 (The claim) – What does Jesus claim about himself and how does he validate his claim?
- John 8:1-11 – What do we learn about Jesus from this scene?
- John 11:1-44 (The miracle) – What does this imply about Jesus and about us?
- John 11:25 (The claim) – What does Jesus claim about himself and how does he back up his claim?
- John 11:45-53 (Two responses)
- John 14:1-11 – What is Jesus claiming about himself in this scripture?
- John 20:30-31 ( Jesus did many other things like these.) – Why were these things written down for us?
For further study:
I. Prophecies about the Messiah:
- Genesis 3:1-15
- Psalms 22:14-18
- Micah 5:2
- Isaiah 9:1,6-7
- Zechariah 11:12,13
- Daniel 9:24,25
II. Claims of Jesus:
- John 4:13
- John 5:24-25
- John 7:16-17
- John 8:12
- John 8:19
- John 8:23
- John 8:31-32
- John 8:46
- John 8:51
- John 8:58
- John 10:7-9
- John 10:11
- John 10:30
- John 12:32
- John 12:49-50
- John 15:5